Learning Outcome 3: Geometry (Controlled only)
- I can apply geometrical concepts to solve given problems. I can:
- represent and solve a system of coplanar and concurrent forces; o construct the locus of moving parts and mechanisms;
- explain how components within a mechanical product can move relative to each other;
- use geometric construction techniques to determine true lengths of lines and true shapes of laminae;
- use geometric construction techniques to determine true angles that lines make with horizontal and vertical planes;
- solve problems related to geometrical construction within set time constraints and with minimum assistance.
Learning Outcome 8: Graphic Design (Coursework and Controlled)
- I can use both raster and vector desktop publishing software at a basic level. I can:
- understand and use basic computer tools associated with desktop publishing and image editing software;
- prepare designs using desktop publishing and image editing software;
- produce a final graphic design outcome.
- I can understand and use a variety of tools, media and techniques in order to communicate ideas. I can:
- propose and produce good quality 2D and 3D preparatory freehand sketches and drawings to communicate my ideas;
- use a variety of software tools to communicate design ideas graphically;
- use a combination of graphical techniques to demonstrate my designs;
- present my design ideas using appropriate tools and media.;
- use freehand preparatory sketches to develop ideas;
- explain and present my ideas graphically and verbally.
Learning Outcome 11: Orthographic Projection (Controlled only)
- I can solve a variety of problems related to orthographic projection according to given data or instructions. I can:
- produce an assembled orthographic projection from a simple exploded pictorial drawing;
- produce in freehand, an assembled pictorial drawing from an exploded pictorial drawing or through a group investigation of a real-life disassembled object;
- project auxiliary views from orthographic projections and vice-versa;
- solve problems related to orthographic projections within set time constraints and with minimum assistance.
Learning Outcome 14: Solid Geometry (Coursework and Controlled)
- I can recognise and construct conic sections and tasks related to intersections. I can:
- construct and recognise the sections of a cone that produce a circle, an ellipse, a parabola, and a hyperbola;
- project the curves of intersection between combinations of prisms and cylinders whose axis are perpendicular and may be in-line or offset;
- construct the developments of intersecting solids.
- I can project elevations from developments and solve problems related to solids. I can:
- project an elevation from a given development of a prism or pyramid;
- project an elevation from a given development of a cylinder or cone;
- solve problems related to solid geometry within set time constraints and with minimum assistance.